[linux-dvb] [ANNOUNCE] v4l-dvb development migrating from CVS to Mercurial

Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
>> Dear V4L/DVB guys,
>> And others. For a better description of Mercurial, you should look at
>> http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/. They have also an IRC channel on
>> freenode (#mercurial).
>
> I've never heard of Mercurial. CVS worked fine for me, and I'm not
> going to use Mercurial.
>
> So, this pretty much cuts me off of the driver CVS then, doesn't it?
>
> Will there be a "mirror CVS" that can be used to just check out
> the latest version, or at least nightly snapshots of the complete
> driver source?

You have also an option to jump out from stone age and start using
modern tools ;). Maybe checking

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/CvsConcepts

and/or

http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/CvsCommands

IIRC you mentioned many moons ago that you manage your personal
files using RCS (or it was somebody else, but I have strong feeling....)

If continuing with this issue with a little off topic issue, in last
few days I've been reading http://svnbook.red-bean.com/ on a N770
(nokia internet tablet) while sitting in a bus. That has been very
good read even after almost 2 years of subvesion usage (if I just have
read that when I was novice SVN user...). Currently at work I'm committing
to a subversion repository and then syncing that to a CVS one. Even I have
to do that step I'd rather do so that try to manage changes on CVS alone.
I'd recommend either one of these mentioned "SCM" tools over CVS any
time; there is so much less pain involved...

You're probably not convinced but at least I tried :D

Tomi