[linux-dvb] How to disable PID filter on dtt200u ?

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:31:11PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:11:02AM +0100, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Harald Welte wrote:
> > >*sigh* (sorry).
> > >Is the PID filter really implemented in hardware, or is it implemented
> > >in the Firmware?  If it is the FX2 firmware, I'm happy to work on a
> > >patched/hacked version for it.
> >
> > I'm not sure about that. Some say it is a separate hardware, but I
> > believe it is just something in the firmware.
>
> Ok, I'll look into that.  It's been some time since I last did 8051
> stuff, but a 8k firmware image is certainly not something too complex to
> look into.
>
> After taking the device apart, there basically is nothing on the PCB
> that looks intelligent enough ;)  There's the MT532, the can tuner and
> the FX2.

I did some firmware work on an early, open DVB-T/USB-2 prototype
based on the FX2 (long dead, but software and docs still available:
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-hw/dvbusb-fx2/).

The FX2 has certain restrictions which make it IMHO impossible
to implement PID filtering in firmware, although the main
dvbusb-fx2 developer, Holger Waechtler, always claimed that
he knew a way to do it. However, he didn't implement it
(and thus no USB-1.1 compatibility) in the Terratec CinergyT^2,
which he did based on the knowledge gained in the dvbusb-fx2
project.
Maybe there's a newer version of the FX2?

If you can live with a USB-2.0-only device, the CinergyT^2
seems to work pretty well and is fully supported, and still
widely available.

HTH,
Johannes