[linux-dvb] Re: Freecom DVB-T USB stick freezes (Matthew Linden)

Matthew Linden Wrote:
>    4. Freecom DVB-T USB stick freezes (Matthew Linden)
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:36:10 +0000
> From: Matthew Linden <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [linux-dvb] Freecom DVB-T USB stick freezes
> To: linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I am trying to use this card in Suse 10.0 (on an AMD Athlon) and I can
> get it to scan OK in Kaffeine and it will work for a couple of minutes
> but the picture then freezes. I can get it to work again by simply using
> the stop and start command in Kaffeine but it then freezes again.
> Usually after two or three tries it locks up the whole system.
>
> DMESG output is:
>
> dvb_usb: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb_usb_dtt200u: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
> dvb-usb: found a 'WideView WT-220U PenType Receiver (Typhoon/Freecom)'
> in cold state, will try to load a firmware
> dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-wt220u-01.fw' to the
> 'Cypress FX2'
> dvb-usb: WideView WT-220U PenType Receiver (Typhoon/Freecom)
> successfully initialized and connected.
> usbcore: registered new driver dvb_usb_dtt200u
> bootsplash: status on console 0 changed to on
> usb 4-2: USB disconnect, address 2
> dvb-usb: generic DVB-USB module successfully deinitialized and
> disconnected.
> BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-Jun-25, 1 devices found
> eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
> NET: Registered protocol family 17
> usb 4-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> dvb-usb: found a 'WideView WT-220U PenType Receiver (Typhoon/Freecom)'
> in warm state.
> dvb-usb: will use the device's hardware PID filter (table count: 15).
> DVB: registering new adapter (WideView WT-220U PenType Receiver
> (Typhoon/Freecom)).
> DVB: registering frontend 0 (WideView USB DVB-T)...
> input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /class/input/input3
> dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 300 msecs.
> dvb-usb: WideView WT-220U PenType Receiver (Typhoon/Freecom)
> successfully initialized and connected.
> dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -110
>
> I have read a number of posts about input saturation and am connecting
> the aerial via a Y splitter as recommended in one of the postings - but
> that does not help.
>
> I also upgraded my kernel to 2.6.15 but that also didn't help.
>
> I would be grateful for any ideas on where to look / what to do next ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

Matthew,

I had this same problem with this stick on my old laptop with USB 1.1
ports, see previous notes in this mailing list.  However, I got a new
laptop at the weekend with USB 2.0 ports and the stick works perfectly. (I
had other reasons to get a new laptop as well ! :-)).

I believe this is a problem with the linux USB 1.1 modules as the stick
worked fine on the old laptop under M$ WinXP, but refused to work on
Linux.  I've had a search through a few Linux USB mailing lists but can't
find a similar problem, or an explanation of the error messages (-71 and
-19 if I remember).

Some replies have said that this is to do with the card drawing too much
power from the USB 1.1 port, but surely that's the Linux modules allowing
it to draw too much power.  I can believe it will draw as much power as it
can given that it has a very powerful pre-gain amplifier (as mentioned in

I'm no module coder so I can't even begin to have a look see at the module
code.

The only help I can give you is if you try posting the problem to the
Linux USB mailing lists as I can't see why the linux USB 1.1 modules
should not be able to do the same job as the M$ ones.(or upgrade to USB
2.0). Sorry

Simon.