[linux-dvb] dvb devices

On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 10:57:18AM +1100, Da Munch wrote:
> i.e. a avermedia 771 and yes it works and thanks to all the people who have
> worked on the drivers for it
>
> anyway I lost a bit of hair setting it up cause for some reason (and yes
> this is this question) some cards have tuners attached to the video device
> (/dev/video*) while others like mine don't, which means certain programs
> don't work with some cards -> like I can't use tvtime/xawtv ..... but I can
> use xine,......?
>
> so, why is this so?

Because your card doesn't have a hardware MPEG decoder. Those programs
are expecting to get decoded video out of /dev/video0, and your card
can't provide it.

Xine however decodes in software.

There's really no disadvantage. Unless things have changed, tvtime/xawtv
are analog TV viewers and not relevant to digital TV. Use Xine instead.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB <hamish@xxxxxxxxxx> <hamish@xxxxxxxxxxxx>