[linux-dvb] GUI version of tzap

Andy-

Sorry for double email, I forgot to cc linux-dvb the first time.

On 12/6/05, Andy Burns <linux-dvb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm just getting my htpc built, having used scan and tzap of course,
> before using xine for display so far.
>
> Currently the PC is connected to a fairly poor aerial, which of course
> complicates things, while I found tzap or femon could give useful
> information, reading a stream of hex digits while pointing an aerial and
>    fiddling with an amplifier isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do,
> so I've cooked up gtzap which is a GTK version of tzap, with progress
> bars used as "meters" for signal/snr/ber which are easier to look at ;-)
>
> see http://adslpipe.co.uk/linuxhtpc/images/gtzap1.png
>
> It got me thinking, is there a wider need for a decent gui frontend
> which can guide a user through initial DVB setup? Or have I missed the
> fact that such a utility already exists ?
>
> It could handle detecting cards, channel scanning, either a full (slow)
> autoscan, or taking "seed" values like scan currently does, or perhaps
> even looking up tuning details from a central transmitter database which
> can be updated more frequently than the util/scan/dvb* files from CVS
> and displaying status information from the tuner.
>
> I'm happy to have a go at building such a utility, grabbing whatever
> bits are need from existing utilities where possible ...
>
> Thoughts?

Screenshot looks great to me.... Does your program depend on tzap to run, or
did you merge the tzap code into your own code?

Can this gui be adapted (or does it need to be) to support azap, czap and
szap?

It would be best if it could somehow use the code already present in Xzap,
and only behave as a frontend to the Xzap utility...  Is this what you're
already doing?

I think your proposal is a good one... Many dvb newbies (myself included,
when I first got started) don't know how to go through the process of
scanning for channels, and proper testing methods...  I think you're onto
something good, and I don't think there is any easy-to-use utility already
out there... Does anybody else know different?

Cheers,
 Michael Krufky