[linux-dvb] GUI version of tzap

Hi there,

I'm just getting my htpc built, having used scan and tzap of course,
before using xine for display so far.

Currently the PC is connected to a fairly poor aerial, which of course
complicates things, while I found tzap or femon could give useful
information, reading a stream of hex digits while pointing an aerial and
   fiddling with an amplifier isn't necessarily the easiest thing to do,
so I've cooked up gtzap which is a GTK version of tzap, with progress
bars used as "meters" for signal/snr/ber which are easier to look at ;-)

see http://adslpipe.co.uk/linuxhtpc/images/gtzap1.png

It got me thinking, is there a wider need for a decent gui frontend
which can guide a user through initial DVB setup? Or have I missed the
fact that such a utility already exists ?

It could handle detecting cards, channel scanning, either a full (slow)
autoscan, or taking "seed" values like scan currently does, or perhaps
even looking up tuning details from a central transmitter database which
can be updated more frequently than the util/scan/dvb* files from CVS
and displaying status information from the tuner.

I'm happy to have a go at building such a utility, grabbing whatever
bits are need from existing utilities where possible ...

Thoughts?