[linux-dvb] How to compile the firmware into the driver?

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 04, 2005, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>

>>Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

>>>We agreed to drop support for this during the merge of the trees
>>>(there was some build problem, can't remember what it was,
>>>but I thought no one uses this anyway so let's drop it).
>>>

>>Does this mean that it should no longer be possible to compile
>>the firmware into the driver?
>>

>Well, there is this tiny GPL issue...
>Compiling firmware into the kernel is not OK and is *discouraged*.

Hmm... I don't think it's a problem for the cvs build, but in this case,
maybe we should remove the capability from the mainline kernel.

>>Well, apparently it _is_ possible,
>>so please don't drop this - it's the way I want to do this, because
>>this hotplug stuff may be good for a user system, but on my system
>>I want to be able to easily switch driver versions by simply
>>setting a symlink.
>>

>If you switch drivers by setting a symlink you could also do:
>
>$ ln -s /foo/mydriversymlink/dvb-ttpci-01.fw /lib/firmware/dvb-ttpci-01.fw

I wrote my previous email before seeing this one, but in my opinion, we
should keep the capability in our makefile, as long as the possibility
exists.

If it used to be there, and it still works today, I doubt it can hurt...
am I wrong?

I think choice is good. Especially with Linux.

-Mike