[linux-dvb] How to compile the firmware into the driver?

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >On Sun, Dec 04, 2005, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> >>CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE=y
> >>CONFIG_DVB_AV7110_FIRMWARE_FILE=./dvb-ttpci-01.fw
> >
> >We agreed to drop support for this during the merge of the trees
> >(there was some build problem, can't remember what it was,
> >but I thought no one uses this anyway so let's drop it).
>
> Does this mean that it should no longer be possible to compile
> the firmware into the driver?

Well, there is this tiny GPL issue...
Compiling firmware into the kernel is not OK and is *discouraged*.

> Well, apparently it _is_ possible,
> so please don't drop this - it's the way I want to do this, because
> this hotplug stuff may be good for a user system, but on my system
> I want to be able to easily switch driver versions by simply
> setting a symlink.

If you switch drivers by setting a symlink you could also do:

$ ln -s /foo/mydriversymlink/dvb-ttpci-01.fw /lib/firmware/dvb-ttpci-01.fw

Johannes