[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 and other (new) modulation standards

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005, Steve Toth wrote:
> Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> >IMHO:
> >Think of a frontend as a device which outputs an MPEG-2 TS.
> >The number of TSs you can receive simultaneously determines
> >the number of frontend devices.
> >
> Interesting. That's the exact opposite of what I've always thought of as
> a front end. A front end to me means an implementation of a tuner/demod
> and/or stream. So, for example - even though a hardware products is only
> capable of delivering one physical stream at once, it may have two
> frontends which expose the two different behaviors in the same design.

Well, the "frontend" term is a bit overloaded. Let's try to clarify:

  A NIM is a device which outputs an MPEG-2 TS.

  The number of TSs you can receive simultaneously determines
  the number of device nodes you need to control the
  available NIMs.

Better?

Johannes