[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 and other (new) modulation standards

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

>> Correct.
>>
>> For what it's worth, on the multiple frontend issue (not s2 related)...
>> A board will appear with some or all of the following features before
>> you know it. Analogue PAL, DVB-T and DVB-S on a single bridge.
>> Personally, it's more logical to me two have two different frontends,
>> one for S and one for T. Anything else feels like a hack.
>>

> IMHO:
> Think of a frontend as a device which outputs an MPEG-2 TS.
> The number of TSs you can receive simultaneously determines
> the number of frontend devices.

Interesting. That's the exact opposite of what I've always thought of as
a front end. A front end to me means an implementation of a tuner/demod
and/or stream. So, for example - even though a hardware products is only
capable of delivering one physical stream at once, it may have two
frontends which expose the two different behaviors in the same design.

>> Analogue tends to take care of itself through v4l, this probably should
>> change longer term.
>>

> Analog and digital TV with one tuner is not optimally integrated, but
> I don't think you should replace v4l with something else because of this.
> There isn't that much left to do.

I agree on both counts. I also agree that having a unified tuner model
would be good idea.