[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 and other (new) modulation standards

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005, Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> To be sure, I would have to talk to the DVB-H Hardware guys, but afaik the
> DiBcom DVB-H silicon is more than just a demodulator supporting 4k and
> time-slicing (and the associated power-management) in hardware, but is
> also doing the MPE-decapsulation and RS-FEC and the data
> delivered to the OS is pure IP(v6).

Not ethernet frames? How about the MAC layer?

> The rest (ESG, Multicast-joins etc.)
> is done in hardware.

What is ESG?

> I can imagine an embedded DVB-H solution running linux as OS and in this
> case the demodulator could be programmed using the linux-DVB API. But I
> have no idea yet which other frontend-operations would make sense then nor
> which parameters should be added for that.

I guess you could create a network device (without dvb_net as you
already get decapsulated packets). Just feed the packets into
the network stack, and provide the hooks to set the MAC address
and multicast filters.

But you still have to parse some PSI tables to find out if the stream
you are receiving is an DVB-H stream at all, don't you?

Johannes