[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 and other (new) modulation standards

Hi,

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005, Felix Domke wrote:
> A final question was how to support DVB-H. Is DVB-H totally backward
> compatible to DVB-T? (ignoring the 4k mode, of course, but that could be
> added backward-compatible to DVB-T) Do we want to support that power
> management features, if yes, how? A new dvb_dvbh_parameters, based on
> the _ofdm-one, with some added fields? I never did anything DVB-H
> related, so please excuse my ignorance.

To be sure, I would have to talk to the DVB-H Hardware guys, but afaik the
DiBcom DVB-H silicon is more than just a demodulator supporting 4k and
time-slicing (and the associated power-management) in hardware, but is
also doing the MPE-decapsulation and RS-FEC and the data
delivered to the OS is pure IP(v6). The rest (ESG, Multicast-joins etc.)
is done in hardware.

There is a DVB-T mode and in this mode of course the MPEG2-TS is
delivered but then it is purely DVB-T.

I can imagine an embedded DVB-H solution running linux as OS and in this
case the demodulator could be programmed using the linux-DVB API. But I
have no idea yet which other frontend-operations would make sense then nor
which parameters should be added for that.

In DVB-H the TPS (known from DVB-T) is extended to provide information
about e.g. time-slicing as well. As the dvb_ofdm_parameters reflecting (a
part of) the TPS data maybe dvbh_parameters should reflect the TPS as
defined for DVB-H.

Just a few thoughts of mine,
Patrick.

--