[RFC] Hybrid cards was Re: [linux-dvb] Re: backwards compatability -was- actual cvs broken?

Hi, all

I don't know how bt878 handles the transport stream, maybe it does some
funny thing similar to the saa7146. But speaking from saa713x point of
view, there is only little conflict:
The chips have a separate transport stream interface and the interface
occupies a rarely used DMA channel. The chips can stream analog video,
sound and dvb parallel, only the planar mode is impossible.
Most of the cards available are hybrid ones, they can do analog and dvb.
Many share a single tuner. this of corse causes a conflict. But besides
this even parallel analog and dvb works in linux.
So - where do these cards belog?
I think we should leave things as they are. Most of the driver code is
initializing and handling of the PCI bridge, setting up and handling
the DMA, I2c etc. This would be needed in both, v4l and dvb and at least
be very similar. But even if we had it duplicated, handling hybrid cards
would be extremely difficult because we can have the PCI code only
once in this case.
But this can be different for bt8xx and cx88.

Best regards
    Hartmut