[linux-dvb] Question regarding Air2PC r3 (Nxt2002 based)...answer may have implications for Nxt200x driver

Mike Krufky wrote:

> This is the ATSC card (not the DVB-T one) right?

Yes

> If so, from what I've heard, it only works with 8VSB -- NOT QAM
> signals.  Patrick told me that, and that is why I didnt buy it on
> ebay.  $49.95 buy-it-now!

No, that was the r2 card, based on the Broadcom 3510.

For more information regarding some confusion about the Air2PC see:

http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2005-September/004600.html

Anyways, the r3 does demodulate QAM -- you can read about some user
experiences here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=509869

It was another thread on AVS that made me question whether Tom's patch
was correct for the hardware.  You can find that here
:http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2005-September/004479.html

Needless to say, it was correct.  That is why I stated it was pretty
funny that I was now correcting the Nxt2004 frequency, as seen here:
http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2005-October/005607.html

> Although it is possible to carry 8VSB over cable, I dont think it's
> actually being done anywhere in practice, although I could be wrong.

I know it used too circa ~2000 on some small cable networks.  There
where even threads about this on AVS.  The big kicker is that there are
few DVB-C networks in North America too.  I presently discovered this
and brought it up on AVS (got a lot of flak from non-believers, but then
someone stepped forward and said that they were indeed on a small
network (in Arizona IIRC) that used DVB-C).  Anyways, the cable scene in
North America is probably nowadays a mixture of proprietary Motorola
standards (or derivatives) and OpenCable/SCTE/ ITU-T J.83 .... with the
overall movement towards OpenCable.

> Would be nice for someone who has that card to test it with the new
> nxt200x driver.  In it's current state, the flexcop patch proposed by
> Kirk should do the trick.

I'll bring this point up on the AVS list latter tonight.