[linux-dvb] Re: Status of HDTV5 lite?

Michael Krufky wrote:

> Luis Ochoa wrote:
>
>> Michael, ...
>> are you talking here about the "Lite" version?
>> composite/s-video/breakout box? My card is a Lite and
>> I only have a coax-in connector.....I can see a connection behind the
>> mounting bracket, is it functional?
>
> I am talking about the Lite model, but the Gold model works as well.
> The connection behind the mounting bracket is exactly the connection
> that I'm talking about -- it works.  I have no idea why DViCO chose to
> hide that behind a metal plate, but I have the card installed in my
> system without the plate at all.  You can probably pick up a new metal
> plate with a hole cut out for s-video... I'll leave that to you ;-)

Interestingly, the Lite versions offered in Korea do not have the
connector blocked off:

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/KOR/Products/Fusion5Lite.aspx
http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/KOR/Products/Fusion5LitePlus.aspx

>> list like crazy for the past week or so, when you guys talk about the
>> frontend, what is it? is it the actual part of the board that does the
>> "tuning", the big metal box? Sorry for the noobiness here.
>
> The big metal box is the TUNER... In your case, it's a LG-H062F ...
> Inside that box, there is a tua6034 pll (this does the actual tuning),
> tda9887 IF demod, and lgdt3303 atsc demod ... That last item is what
> we have been referring to as a "frontend."

I'm not certain as to the discussion Micheal & Luis are reffering too,
but I would define the "frontend" of a card as being the both the tuner
and demodulator(s). When the demodulator(s) is/(are) contained within
the metal housing surrounding the tuner you will often find this
referred to as a NIM (Network Interface Module) or, less frequently, as
a ITD (Integrated Tuner Demodulator).    But a frontend need not  have
its demodulator(s) contained within the tuner section -- examples of
which are the pchdtv cards, which have their Oren demods exposed on the
surface of the cards