[linux-dvb] Re: Fusion HDTV 5

David Engel wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 10:57:56PM -0500, David Engel wrote:
>

>>No, I could get FR_HAS_LOCK.  However, the signal was always 0000 and
>>any attempts to actually capture anything resulted in a TS stream
>>where mplayer couldn't find any video.
>>

>I have to backtrack a little on this.
>
>Just for grins, I did a rescan for QAM256 on my cable last night.  I
>found 7 services, 4 of which had non-0 video pids.  I tried tuning
>them but still got a signal strength of 0000.  I tried a capture on a
>few of them anyway, and surpisingly, got something.  Mac, is the
>signal strength checking in the Fusion 5 driver known to work?

David, You must have missed the email that Mac sent rather recently,
explaining that signal strength DOES work, but Mac isn't yet happy with
the return values.  Currently, the driver is hard-coded to ALWAYS return
0.  It is probably better off that Mac chose to do this, because it
would be worse if it were reporting a signal strength value that meant
absolutely nothing, and to have the unit-scale of nothingness change
with each driver revision. ... and I quote:

<<from mac michaels:

This is because I have not found a method to generate a
signal strength that I like. Signal strength is not
directly available from the lgdt330x chip. The driver
always returns 0.

Mac, is there anything that I can do to help you get this feature
implemented?  Is there any info that you need that someone reading this
list might be able to provide?

David, If you are getting a LOCK, then this means that you are locking
onto the frequency correctly, but that the data is encrypted, and cannot
be handled by the driver.

>I didn't recognize the programs nor channels I captured.  After
>unsuccessfully trying to capture some video pid 0 services, I went
>back and was no longer able to find any video.  It was late so I
>didn't do any more.

Ah, so now you ARE getting a picture... this is good.  I have some
similar experience to what you are getting.  My cable company offers
ON-DEMAND.  This is a method in which the customer can use the GUI
built-in to the provided set-top-box to choose video content provided by
the cable company to watch at the customer's choosing.

I have noticed that there are certain unencrypted channels that seem to
carry HDTV content that is not currently being offered by any standard
cable channels... I have discovered that this content is actually an
ON-DEMAND session being watched by someone that must live somewhere
nearby.  I have even noticed the stream pause and rewind sometimes.  It
is possible that this is what you are seeing on these other channels.

>I'm not terribly optimistic, but I guess this warrants a more thorough
>examination of every service I can detect.

Be optimistic... The driver is working for you.  The only problem is
that your cable company is encrypting too many channels.  I've noticed
that there are some DVB drivers that are able to watch encrypted
content.  From what I understand, this is something that is enabled at
the hardware level, and the DViCO boards do not support this.  I wish
this were not the case...... hopefully someone will eventually prove
this wrong, althought the FCC isn't going to like that idea.

-MiKE