[linux-dvb] bt878(0): IRQ lockup, cleared int mask

On Sunday 31 July 2005 04:05, Jukka Tastula wrote:
> On Sunday 31 July 2005 00:17, David Johnson wrote:
> > As I'm watching TV, I'm getting lots of the following messages in demsg:
> > bt878(0): irq FDSR FBUS risc_pc=1fc66010
> > bt878(0): irq FBUS risc_pc=1fc66158
> > bt878(0): IRQ lockup, cleared int mask
>
> I had exact same problem for a very long time with my nxt6000 nebula. I
> finally some weeks ago tracked it down to the nic I was using (rtl8139).

I've tracked down the cause on my system - it generates irq messages every
time the disk (an SATA drive using the sata_nv driver) is accessed. Accessing
a large file makes the card die much quicker than it otherwise would.

On Sunday 31 July 2005 02:51, Edgar Toernig wrote:
> Look for the line
>
>  controlreg |= 0x1b;
>
> in drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/bt878.c and change it to
>
>  controlreg |= 0x13;

This actually makes things much worse for me - IRQ errors are generated much
more frequently than they are with the setting at 1b.

On Sunday 31 July 2005 00:03, Matt wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem with a avermedia 771 with the same front
> end. The way I fixed it was to edit drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/bt878.c on
> line 330 changing 20 to 120, this number I think is the number of errors
> a device can handle before giving up, a better solution would be to
> attempt to restart the stream rather than simply stopping it.

So this makes the card last longer before dying, but it still dies after 120
errors. I suppose I could just comment out that section of code completely,
but there's still something causing this problem and it would be much better
to track it down and fix it rather than just hide it.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far,
David.