[linux-dvb] ves1820 FEC, have problems with cable provider

Christian Kaenzig wrote:
> Le Dimanche, 24 Juillet 2005 13:23, thomas schorpp a ?crit :

> [...]
>
>>>First, you are running femon while having your adapter used by some
>>>software, right (e. g. czap, ..) ? If I run femon without an app. using
>>>the card, I get that signal 'ffff'.
>>
>>sure, you need to tune to a channel first, dont you?
>>
>>vdr is running here.
>

> I asked because sometimes, when I tune to a channel, quit the app and wait 5
> seconds I get exactly that kind of output, i. e. signal ffff, unc fff... and
> sometimes FE_HAS_LOCK.
>

>>>That said, I also had this kind of problems with some channels at some
>>>hours of the day. The transponders around 300 MHz would always work fine
>>>but the ones over 500 MHz only between 21h - 08h. I could get the latter
>>>almost working all day by plugging the dvb-c card directly to the wall
>>>outlet with a short cable.
>>
>>tuned to ~ 426 MHz at the moment.
>>

>>>So I guessed the signal strength was not high enough for my card on the
>>>higher frequencies. I bought an antenna amplifier and that solved my
>>>problem.
>>
>>checked a week before. looped through the antenna amp of my vhs vcr
>>since. no diffrence, sorry.
>

> Are you sure you vcr has an amplifier built in and not just a 'T' ? The
> amplifier I'm talking about was sold for ~ 60 CHF (~ 40 ?) so it might be a
> bit expensive just for testing...

panasonic nv-hd636, it has an amplifier, this is best design practice
for decoupling. anyway, signal strength is full as you can see in the
femon log above at the dvb-c card, without, its lower.

> I don't have a vcr around anymore but given the test I did some years ago in
> the analog world, my vcr didn't have an amplifier (although it was not a
> particularly cheap one IIRC). But things might have changed since then, I
> don't know.

ive used it with a bt878 analog card before, with good quality gain.

>>tom
>

> Hope this helps, but sorry if it doesn't :) !
>
> Christian

thx,
tom