[linux-dvb] [RFC/PATCH] moving commonly used frontend configs to separate drivers

Hi Andrewm

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 14:21 +0100, Andrew de Quincey wrote:
> On Saturday 23 July 2005 09:30, Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> > http://www.saftware.de/frontend.diff
> >
> > It's not finished yet, but I hope to get some comments from you.
>
> Isn't this what the dvb-pll.c/h stuff was trying to achieve? Or does that have
> drawbacks?

no, the new files contain all NIM specific code like inittabs, symbol
rate setting (e.g. for the stv0299) and the config struct. dvb-pll.c/h
can IMHO still be used with this approach.

> One thing though - the 'frontends' dir is a bit of a misnomer - it should
> really be 'demodulators', but we're kinda stuck with it now.  If you did

Actually demodulators and plls since dvb-pll.[ch] ;)

> this, it would be good to differentiate the non-demodulator code from the
> demodulator code - put it in a subdirectory, or prefix the filenames by
> something..
>
> As to what I'd suggest for a prefix/dirname.... hmm.. its not _really_ "PLL"
> is it; since you're naming it after the tinbox and not the PLL chip itself.
> What about "dvbnim_" since most of the manufacturers call those things NIMs
> anyway?

The reason why I put them into this directory was that I think "NIM"
equals "frontend" more than "demodulators" do.

OK, I will prefix the new files. I guess "nim_" is enough, because we're
already in media/dvb.

How about this structure somewhere in the distant future?

dvb

 +--nim

     +--demod

     +--pll