[linux-dvb] DEC2000-t help

Firstly, I'll apologise in advance for any idiot statements in this
mail: I'm a user and emphatically (sadly) not a developer.  I have
a Hauppauge DEC2000-t it being (at the time anyway), the only viable
way I could see to view UK Freeview DVB via a laptop.  Maybe 4 months
ago, I had this working, first crudely via tzap/mplayer to test,
then via MythTV.  But I'm now finding in the latest CVS releases for
dvb-apps/dvb-kernel on Fedora Core 4 (kernel 2.6.12, gcc4), I can't
even get tzap/mplayer (or xine etc.) to work reliably.

Furthermore, after some discussions with people online and some
reading, I now understand that the old-fashioned way of using this in
MythTV (dvb-apps's dvbscan -> channels.conf -> channels.conf-import.pl
-> mysql) isn't now supported, as MythTVsetup's scan is supposed to
work - but doesn't for the DEC2000-t, supposedly because of driver
issues, references:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2005-April/035147.html

and continuing at:

http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2005-April/035177.html

I can't pretend to understand the internals of these discussions -
all I know is that as a previously happy DEC2000-t user, I seem to be
now stranded...

I'm pretty sure I have a working channels.conf, when tzap *does* work,
but MythTV's channels.conf-import.pl is now out of date with the new
table structure in 0.16+, because mythtvsetup scanning is supposed
to work.

Using tzap feeding into mplayer on stdin it seems to tune into
the first few channels I try, but then mplayer rigidly sticks
at 0% cache, and refuses to tune in until I reboot (card/module
removal/reinsertion doesn't seem to help).  For info, when I plug
in the card, /var/log/messages first reports it as a DEC2540-t then
seems to change its mind (it always did this, even when working):

Jul  3 13:23:48 localhost kernel: usb 6-1: new full speed USB device
using ohci_hcd and address 2
Jul  3 13:23:51 localhost kernel: ttusb_dec: Firmware 1.11uk
Jul  3 13:23:52 localhost kernel: ttusb_dec: found DSP code "DEC2540-t".
Jul  3 13:23:57 localhost kernel: usb 6-1: USB disconnect, address 2
Jul  3 13:24:09 localhost kernel: usb 6-1: new full speed USB device
using ohci_hcd and address 3
Jul  3 13:24:09 localhost kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (DEC2000-t).
Jul  3 13:24:09 localhost kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0
(TechnoTrend/Hauppauge DEC2000-t Frontend)...

When I start tzap (successfully or not) I get the following:
% ./tzap -r 'five'
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
reading channels from file '/home/user/.tzap/channels.conf'
tuning to 490000000 Hz
video pid 0x1781, audio pid 0x1782
status 1f | signal 0003 | snr 0000 | ber bfc55670 | unc 00a34ad9 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0003 | snr 0000 | ber bfc55670 | unc 00a34ad9 | FE_HAS_LOCK
status 1f | signal 0003 | snr 0000 | ber bfc55670 | unc 00a34ad9 | FE_HAS_LOCK

The "snr" reading is always suspiciously zero, even when it works ok,
maybe this isn't implemented in the driver?  When I then try and tune
in with "mplayer - < /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0", once it's decided not to
work, mplayer sticks at 0.00% cache - sometimes static and sometimes
flickering mysteriously as if it's filling cache but staying at 0.00%.
I should add that the device itself is functioning fine, on a TV.

What can I do?  Is there anything I can do as a user to help this
back to a position where I might be able to use my device in linux?
Or can I supply more information on my tzap problems to try and at
least get past the first problem?

Finally, if I can get tzap working reliably, does anyone have any
suggestions about how I could even just *watch* TV in Linux on this
thing with something other than MythTV, if that remains a problem?
xine and mplayer's direct DVB support (for changing channels within
the application never seemed to work to me). Is there anything else
other than MythTV I could use, even for just viewing?  I really don't
want to boot Windows.