[linux-dvb] networked digital tuner project

Hi Brian,

Brian Kuschak schrieb:

>>I would prefer the solution with one tuner per
>>module. This gives more
>>flexibility and less complexity to the design.
>

> How is this more flexible?  As far as complexity goes,
> it isn't significant.  Once I get it working with a
> single tuner, adding the FPGA logic for multiple
> tuners is not too difficult.  One tuner won't use all
> the link bandwidth.  Besides, if you only want one
> tuner, just use a PCI card.

The thing about DVB over LAN is that you can place the tuner somewhere
and watch the Streams somewhere else. This is what i want to do and I
would only need one tune for it, but a PCI Card won't work.
If someone needs to record n Transport Streams he/she needs n tuners.
With One tuner per module he/she needs n modules and gets 100% efficiency.
With 4 tuners per module he/she would need n/4 modules. With n = 5 this
would waste 3 tuners.
Besides Modules with one tuner should be cheaper in production even more
if you sell more of them. 5,000 people needing 4 tuners are either
20,000 modules with one tuner or 1,000 modules with 4 tuners per module.
Ask the people that produce the PCB s what they would prefer ;-)

Regards,

Lars