[linux-dvb] DVB file formats

> Is it worth supporting bouquets in the file formats do you think? None of the
> other formats support them, and from what I've seen of satellite receivers,
> they don't seem to bother with them much either (although that may admittedly
> be distorted by Sky's stranglehold on the UK DVB-S market).
Bouquets in term of the BAT are useless, in my eyes, at least with the
current situation.

On larger-scale networks (like DVB-S), it will never match what the user
expects.

On smaller ones, like cable networks, it could be an alternative(!) to a
simple channel list, but as no receiver support them, nobody broadcasts
them.

The only thing where i ever parsed a BAT was to find out how certain
receivers find their upgrade streams ;)

I wish bouquets would be functional, but I see no chance here. Sorting
by provider_name, with some magic to join typos, gives much better results.

There are commercial services which provide something like "bouquet
files" and care of them. Unfortunately, they are non-free and thus
couldn't be used in GPL programs (unless we end up with a GPL program
which can't be used in certain situations). Maybe it's time to build a
free alternative for it, something like a (managed) Wiki where you can
build Bouquet lists, assign "channel numbers" (yes, some people resist
on using channel numbers for zapping. don't ask me why. But it's
definitely required, but definitely nonsense without some managed
lists). The resulting bouquets could then be downloaded to the receiver.

They should NOT replace results of scan-lists. I think it's a bad idea
to save like 4 minutes of time by using prepared lists, which are
outdated, maybe miss some transponders or are simply wrong.

But the "favourites" (aka "bouquets") could be managed in  a central
way, maybe with different possibilities for different countries or user
groups. For example, there could be a "German Free-TV"-Bouquet, which
has "ProSieben" on 7, "Das Erste" on 1 etc., with the same for other
countries and their specific needs as well.

We should even be able to transmit them over satellite, because they
aren't really high bandwidth.

Felix