[linux-dvb] networked digital tuner project

????????????, Brian.

?? ?????? 11 ???? 2005 ?., 3:28:30:

> Hi Wolfgang,

> Thanks for your input.  Comments inline.

>> My idea would be to use an (embedded) processor for
>> doing
>> all the control and network stuff, and have an FPGA
>> for
>> the TS handling (and demux). Like this you could
>> have a
>> DVB card that is not only usable for such a server
>> but
>> also for a "stand-alone" PC.

> My idea was at least initially to implement a very
> minimalist solution, keeping things as simple as
> possible.  A single FPGA would implement a minimal
> Ethernet MAC, FIFOs to buffer data from the
> tuners/demods, an i2c master, and a small state
> machine to handle control packets.  In this case, no
> CPU would be used in the device.  All control of the
> tuners and parsing of the data would be done by the
> client PCs.

> If the data is multicast/UDP, then the state machines
> wouldn't even need to ARP, and of course wouldn't need
> to implement a TCP stack.
Take a look to Pent@Office. It is using pSOSystem OS. Powered by ARM processor, but it is networking solution.
Funny part - it is resolving gateway MAC by ARP only at boot time,
maybe it is even standalone application. So if gateway turned off
when Pent@Office booting - it will not work good later (will send
packets to mac 00:00:00:00:00:00.

There is not too much ways, IMHO, but easiest will be just
RF block + bt878-like chip + ARM cpu + Network chip(LAN91C111?)

Issue is, maybe if you want to save bandwidth, and use less powerful CPU,
good to use FlexCop, which have embedded PID filtering.