[linux-dvb] Lost lock problems over extended periods of time

Andrew de Quincey wrote:
>>>Oh yeah, I agree the hack is doing stuff with the symptoms - I'm just
>>>trying to identify what fixes it so we can track down the cause.
>>>
>>>Do the multiswitches where you saw the problem support anything about
>>>tone/voltage switching BTW?
>>No switches.. connected directly..
>>DVB-Card-->Splitter-->Amplifier-->LNB.
>>
>>The amplifier was there because of a long RG-11 cable.. The Amplifier
>>was near the LNB (approx 10m away, to reduce input noise)
>
> Hi, I've managed to get it to auto-retune. However it is very weird.... All
> I've done is the following in the else clause of "if (s & FE_HAS_LOCK)":

Originally as per the DVB API the default behaviour was to auto tune if
there was a loss of lock (?)

I think somebody (Johannes ?) a while stated that i was a bug that
caused it not to retune..

So i believe you hit that bug instead.. Sometimes it so happens that
searching for something else you find something else..

> if (fe->frontend->ops->set_voltage)
> 	fe->frontend->ops->set_voltage(fe->frontend, 0);
> if (fe->frontend->ops->set_tone)
> 	fe->frontend->ops->set_tone(fe->frontend, 0);
> mdelay(100);
> fe->frontend->ops->read_status(fe->frontend, &s);
> if (s & FE_HAS_LOCK) {
> 	fe->state = FESTATE_TUNED;
> 	continue;
> }
>
> -- if it hasn't relocked I then kick off a retune - but this code wasn't run
> (I've got printks in everywhere so I know for sure).
>
> The channel in question uses voltage/tone SEC_VOLTAGE_13/SEC_TONE_ON (i.e.
> 0/0) - I just hardcoded it to those above for quickness.
>
> So I'm not resending the tone burst. I'm not even telling the frontend to
> retune!
>
> I'm going see if only one of those is needed to fix the problem now.

I believe that will be a temporary fix for FTA.. But what if tuned to a
scrambled transponder and decrypting it ? Sending CA_PMT again does not
look clean ..

> Incidentally, we use nagios to monitor our servers, so I've checked the logs
> going back a year - there is no pattern as to when the channels die.

When i used to look at the logs a while back, could not even identify a
weeks logs, imagine a year !

Manu