[linux-dvb] [patch] fix two minor issues in dvb_core

Hi

Johannes Stezenbach schrieb:
> On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 09:48:13PM +0200, Peter Beutner wrote:
>
>>i recently stumbled over these two little bugs in the dvb_core code:
>>1.
>>As the FE_SET_FRONTEND ioctl is asynchronous it is not guaranteed that
>>the tuner is already reconfigured when the next ioctl occurs. In case of
>>the FE_READ_STATUS ioctl this would return the signal status of the
>>previous,now obsolete tuning to the user. Which is kind of bad for apps
>>which do something like:
>>tune();
>>while(!has_lock())
>>    sleep(500);
>>read_data();
>>Prevent this by automatically returning zero if frontend state is FE_RETUNE.
>

> Hm, nice catch. Did you actually manage to hit this race?
yes, I ccasionally saw it when using tzap. The first line reports a
HAS_LOCK, while the second(and sometimes third) shows no signal lock and
  next one finally has the lock again.

>>2.
>>In dvb_dmxdev_filter_start if we go out because of an error, release
>>previously allocated demux_feed.
>

> This is a bit subtle. The feed is released in dvb_demux_release() (when
> the device is closed). What was the problem you were trying to fix with
> this patch?
The problem is if you change the pid filter without closing the demux
device. For example when changing the channel. Consider the following
sequence:
tune();
ioctl(DMX_SET_PES_FILTER);
ioctl(DMX_START);
ioctl(DMX_STOP);
tune();
ioctl(DMX_SET_PES_FILTER);
ioctl(DMX_START);
(xine does it this way for example)

As the status of the filter isn't set to DMXDEV_STATE_GO if an error
occurs in dvb_dmx_filter_start, it wont be released in
dvb_dmx_filter_stop. Because the number of filters is limited, it will
run out of filters after zapping through a few channels

Btw just ~5 lines above the one i changed with the patch, there is
exactly the same situation. And there it is done the way as the patch
does it.

Peter