[linux-dvb] WinTV NovaT remote keys - num keys only

On 2005-05-14 at 16:40BST "Simon Baxter" wrote:
> Apart from some different key codes, many were the same I was already
> using - specifically the coloured keys and arrows.
>

> Still nothing.
>
> I'm sure I am compiling the v4l2 modules properly  - have tested this by
> swapping some of the definitions around to see if the keys that are working
> follow the swap.
>
> Is there something at the kernel level which defines these
> 'KEY_RED' etc tags?

they seem to be found in <kernel-root>/include/linux/input.h

> it looks like the '0x0b' etc signals are being received,
> but when they're mapped on to KEY_RED etc they don't work.
>
> If I map 0x0b, for the RED key, onto KEY_KP5 the key
> works.  But I only have about 14 "KEY_**" placeholders to
> play with.
>
> Can anyone explain why or what module is understanding
> KEY_KP5 BUT NOT KEY_RED, KEY_BLUE, KEY_TEXT etc etc etc

My guess would be that it might be something to do with
KEY_RED being 0x18e, ie something bigger than 0xff.  It
happens that 0x8e displays as nothing, so if it's getting
handled mod 256 you'll see nothing unless you go to some
extra trouble, such as piping the output of tail through
less.  (assuming you have less set up to display control
characters somehow). ie if "echo -e "0x8e" | less" shows you
something, it's worth trying piping the tail through less.

What's you're locale?

(I have one of these remote controls, but haven't even got
round to putting the batteries in yet)

  J?n

J?n Fairbairn                              Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk