[linux-dvb] dvb trouble with the pinnacle 300i (mt352)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Alexander Macdonald wrote:

> Hi

Hi Alex and the list,

> I recently got a pinnacle 300i analog/digital pci tv card and I've been
> trying to get it to work reliably. I can receive all the channels but
> the display is full of artifacts and after maybe 10-30 seconds
> mplayer(or xine) just cuts out. I've seen a number of threads which have
> similar problems with the following:
>
> mt352_read_register: readreg error (reg=1, ret==-5)
>
> showing up in the dmesg output. I've upgraded to the 1.11 firmware using
> windows, that helped a lot but not enough. I'm currently running
> 2.6.11.7 with the latest patch from bytesex
> (http://dl.bytesex.org/patches/2.6.11-2/All-2.6.11.diff.gz)#

I am using the video4linux archive from
http://dl.bytesex.org/cvs-snapshots/video4linux-20050403-221421.tar.gz
with kernel 2.6.10 and the kaffeine video player version 0.6-cvs from
http://kaffeine.sourceforge.net/

I have got the same audio/video glitches that you report, but they have
become less frequent since I use kaffeine as a player.

> Is this a problem that people are trying to fix or have I just bought a
> crap card? I got the pinnacle to replace my Nova-T (which could receive
> channels just fine) because it has analog as well.

In fact people already have tried to fix these problems...
If you have a look at the code for the mt352 chip (in mt352.c) you will
find some options commented /* Pinnacle */ that should be activated to
make them work.

IMHO there are some small timing differences for the mt352 on the PCTV
300i board from other boards that use the same chip.

> Thanks, Alex

[...]

Regards,
Rainer