[linux-dvb] devices in /dev/deb not being created???

Hi,

I never used a file called dvb.tune. I found a channels.conf in the internet.
I edited it so that all channels names do not have spaces. Maybe this i the
crucial point.

Hoever, oth xine and mplayer did not work stable wirh dvb on my machine. The
sometimes stop playing and sometimes they stop for a few seconds and then
continue playback. Also mplayer often lost a/v synchronisation.

I found a very easy solution. I do not know why it works better but it does:

run tzap -r <channel> in background to select a channel. While tzap is
running, run this command:

cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | xine --hide-gui stdin://

The same principle can be used to record a movie while watching:

cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | tee -a movie.mpg | xine --hide-gui stdin://

In case of mplayer:
cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 | mplayer -really-quiet -framedrop -vf lavcdeint
-dr -

So what I like to say is that I do not use the dvb plugin of xine and mplayer.
I use the /dev device and a pipe, playing the stream from stdin.

Take a look at the attached shell scripts. They use this technique and kdialog
to make it comfortable. The tvrec script also uses atd to schedule
recordings.

tv2dvd.sh need the current cvs version of mplayer (release 1.0-pre6 is to
old!) to re-encode the movie and burn it onto a Video-DVD.

Does that help you?