[linux-dvb] Problem with LinuxTV wiki

Oliver Endriss wrote:
> Dominique Dumont wrote:
> > I've also noticed a lot of commercial links at the bottom of the main
> > page (http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page). Shouldn't these
> > parasite links be exterminated ?
>
> Definitely. An as*h*le named Xaxa has hacked these pages:
>
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/LinuxTVWiki:About

I would guess it was a script which uses random names. "Cd" was
another one used for spamming.

> Imho the contents need some protection.
> What will happen if script kiddies start applying non-obvious changes?

That was to be expected. The VDR Wiki has seen more spam, but they
don't require user registration for editing the pages.

The bad thing is that even if we remove the spam from the pages it is
still visible in the history and google will pick it up from there.
And MediaWiki has no tool to remove this crap from the database,
one has to do it by hand. Argh! They talk about Wiki spam
on google:'site:wikimedia.org "wiki spam"', but it seems there is
no ready-to-use counter measure. If someone knows more than I please
tell me.

Johannes