[linux-dvb] ttusb-budget / TT-Nova-USB does not tune

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 13:31, Felix Domke wrote:

> >>You might want to open the device and check if this is really
> >>SU1278-based. I thought stv0299-based ttusbs either have Alps BSBE1
> >>or BSRU6, but i might be wrong.

Hi Felix,

first of all, thanks for your help, I appreciate your effort.

Now I opened the device and found a label on the Tuner that says BSRU6
and also a number 111615A which might be a serial number or something
like that. If it helps I'm happy to take a few pictures of the Board.

Does that mean that the wrong tuner driver is used? Is there a way to
tell the driver that a different tuner is present?

Actually in the German forum VDR-portal there is a user who reports that
he set up the same device (Kathrein UFP500) with cvs-version of
December 2004.
Would it make sense to try that version?
How do I get that version from cvs?

Well, currently I'm on the train and took the time and browsed around
stv0299.c and dvb-ttusb-budget.c a bit.

In stv0299.c I haven't found a section where the Alps tuner is assigned
to a nova-usb, however from reading the logfile I gess that the tuner
is assigned in this section (// fall back to datasheet-recommended
settings)

<snip>
static long probe_tuner (struct dvb_i2c_bus *i2c){
  if ((ret = i2c->xfer(i2c, msg1, 2)) == 2) {
    if ( strcmp(adapter->name, "TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-CI PCI") == 0 ) {
      // technotrend cards require non-datasheet settings
      printk ("%s: setup for tuner SU1278 (TSA5059 synth) on"
              " TechnoTrend hardware\n", __FILE__);
      return PHILIPS_SU1278_TSA_TT;
    } else {
      // fall back to datasheet-recommended settings
      printk ("%s: setup for tuner SU1278 (TSA5059 synth)\n",
              __FILE__);
      return PHILIPS_SU1278_TSA;
    }
</snip>

I inserted the following lines before the else statement to assign the
Alps tuner to the Nova-USB. Hope this won't harm.

<snip>
    } else if ( strcmp(adapter->name, "Technotrend/Hauppauge Nova-USB")
                == 0 ) {
      // ttusb-budget
      printk ("%s: setup for tuner BSRU6 on"
              " TechnoTrend Budget-USB hardware\n", __FILE__);
      return ALPS_BSRU6;
</snip>

Though I have the USB-Box with me I cannot try it as there's no power
socket in this train. :-(
Not sure when I'll have time to test it.

Another Point, in the file dvb-ttusb-budget.c there's a statement:
<snip>
static struct usb_driver ttusb_driver = {
      .name 		= "Technotrend/Hauppauge USB-Nova",
</snip>

in the function 'ttusb_probe' the device is registerd as
<snip>
  dvb_register_adapter(&ttusb->adapter,
                       "Technotrend/Hauppauge Nova-USB", THIS_MODULE);
</snip>

I don't think this causes a problem as I haven't found any reference to
the former of the two strings. It only occured in the logfile as:
<snip>
kernel: usb.c: registered new driver Technotrend/Hauppauge USB-Nova
</snip>

Bye Jo