[linux-dvb] saa7146 changes required for 2.6.11-bk1

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> I will only switch to dvb-kernel if it works with the current SUSE
> supplied kernel (currently 2.6.8 in SUSE 9.2). For one that's because
> I want to be able to use the online update feature, but also because
> other users who may be barely able to install a standard distribution,
> but may not be able to install a new kernel, should still be able to
> use VDR.
>
> I really wonder who gave this kernel an even middle number? I always
> believed these would be _stable_ kernels (and to me "stable" implies
> that the interfaces don't change). To me kernel 2.6.x is "unstable".

I totally agree with you, Klaus, but this is outside our control,
so we have to make the best out of what is real.

I believe that someone who is barely able to install a standard distribution,
should stick to it entirely, i.e. work with SuSE 9.2 as it is or at most use
only Yast Online Update to make changes to it, but not try to install CVS drivers.

If someone is able to check out the latest DVB drivers from CVS and install
them, but is not able to install a standard kernel, tough luck. I really
believe that this description matches almost nobody.

I am using SuSE 9.2 on two VDR machines with kernel 2.6.11 and the
DVB drivers that come with kernel 2.6.11. That works much better than
vanilla SuSE 9.2 or any 9.2 update via Yast Online Update I tried before
switching to the standard kernel. It is not quite as easy as Anssi said,
because the standard kernel does not come with lirc (so I had to install
that, too) and it does not come with subfs (I do not care, since my
VDR machines do not have optical drives anyway), but it still "feels right"
to use the drivers that come with the kernel, so if I want latest drivers,
I use latest kernel.

Having said that, how hard would it be to insert a few #if lines to
make the latest DVB drivers from CVS compatible with all kernels >= 2.6.8?
This is what you are requesting, right?
I agree that this is a reasonable request.

Carsten.