[linux-dvb] saa7146 changes required for 2.6.11-bk1

Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>
>> C.Y.M wrote:
>>
>>> I noticed the kernel developers made some new changes to i2c which
>>> affects saa7146 (and some other drivers) in 2.6.11-bk1.  Included is
>>> a patch for current dvb-kernel if you want to build the latest 2.6
>>> kernel snapshot.
>>>

>> Whoever checks this in to CVS should please make sure the latest
>> CVS version of dvb-kernel still compiles with kernel 2.6.8 (which ist
>> the version used in current Linux distributions such as SUSE 9.2).
>> I'd hate to be forced to install a special kernel version in case
>> I switch to dvb-kernel.
>

> AFAIK dvb-kernel already doesn't compile with older kernels than 2.6.9.
> You may disable the non-working modules from Makefile, if you don't need
> them.
>
> On the other hand, upgrading the kernel is rather easy, since it uses
> the .config of your 2.6.8 kernel. You need only make oldconfig/xconfig,
> make && make modules_install && make install. Another possibility is to
> install a newer kernel from SUSE's "unstable" branch, if such branch
> exists.

I will only switch to dvb-kernel if it works with the current SUSE
supplied kernel (currently 2.6.8 in SUSE 9.2). For one that's because
I want to be able to use the online update feature, but also because
other users who may be barely able to install a standard distribution,
but may not be able to install a new kernel, should still be able to
use VDR.

I really wonder who gave this kernel an even middle number? I always
believed these would be _stable_ kernels (and to me "stable" implies
that the interfaces don't change). To me kernel 2.6.x is "unstable".

Klaus