[linux-dvb] Best platform for media??

Thanks, so much!

I'll be re-using my budget Hauppauge Nova-T.  Am quite pleased with the
multi-channel recording under VDR.  To date I've been doing all the testing
and learning on a P2 400 Dell2400 - but it's now beginning to slow me down
too much.

> Not sure if nForce is good for linux (some problems with NF2 and NF3 - not
> sure if they have been fixed by now).

so either SIS or Via chipsets are fine then?

What about things like 'hyper threading' ?  I gather support for this will
probably add complication and not worth the effort?

> Depending on other requirements but if you need it for DVDs and DVB then
> look for S/PDIF output. Full featured DVB cards tend to have S/PDIF output
> as well so soundcard may not be even needed.

What kind of connector is on S/PDIF?

>> Video
>>    I want a card, preferably with composite output.
>
> Not sure but if there's TV-out in the graphic card then there is always
> composite output. This provides the poorest image.
>
> Minimum for analogue video-output is s-video, IMO. Better is to have RGB
> output.

RGB=scart type output?

>>    What's uATX?
>
> Motherboard form, very small. If you wan't to build small HTPC type
> computer then this is good solution. Expansion slots are minimal - AGP is
> often missing, PCI ports are limited to 1 or 2 and a lot of peripherials
> are integrated.

So integral video out on the motherboard?

>>    Best to get 8x?
>
> Will not provide any advantages for video viewing purposes. This comes
> handy when using a lot of textures for 3D graphics.

Thanks again!!