[linux-dvb] Writing DVB Software - couple questions

Peter Magellan wrote:

>>Yeah, I don't think doing some kind of funny scaling in software would
>
>>mean anything in the end - part of the reason that I want to write my
>
>>own app rather than use the windows ones (besides that windows in
>
>>general, and most of the windows dvb software as well, sucks). Correct
>
>>me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't really seem to be a good linux app
>
>>for discovering new channels (I mean PID searching not blind
>
>>searching), storing a chanel list, controlling diseqc, and monitoring
>
>>signal strength, as well as sometimes just watching some TV. The
>
>>windows apps all have good intentions, but they all suck for one
>
>>reason or another.
>

> Yeah, and we all know how mega COOL and super stable and perfect the
> Linux DVB apps are, right ?
>
> And how Linux **rocks** for drivers for all the dvb stuff out there,
> and how you have to waste ur entire life compiling stuff to work
> properly, right ?

once you have a stable dvb setup in linux you don't need to constantly
upgrade it.
With linux+linuxtv's drivers I had rock stable setups every time I
upgraded the drivers,
and out of all windows applications only mythtv turned out to be a
nightmare,
so I ditched it. All other applcations always worked well.

Unfortunately I could *never ever* got a stable windows setup for dvb in
3+ years,
so the longest uptime when using dvb was barely 3 minutes