[linux-dvb] Writing DVB Software - couple questions

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:41:14AM +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:24:49AM +0100, Robert Schlabbach wrote:
> know how you want to calibrate this, even if you'd have a zoo of cards
> to compare against each other I guess that for consumer equipment
> even two "identical" cards will return different values...

In fact, yes - at least concerning signal strength.
I did some tests with several Philips TU1216, and the signal strength
reading varied by around 3 dB (with partial linear approximation
applied to get the signal strength from the AGC reading). However,
SNR as an example was quite accurate.

If we have a well-defined interface, we can still blame the
hardware of being inaccurate, but IMHO we should not lock out
the more accurate hardware.

> Johannes

Regards,
Wolfgang