[linux-dvb] Writing DVB Software - couple questions

HI

I just started playing around with writing some software using the dvb
api and I have a couple questions.

I guess I should mention first that I have a TechnoTrend 1.5 PCI card
(Philips SAA7146) and I'm using the drivers in kernel 2.6.10 (from
kernel.org, not a mangled one from a linux distro)

What units (or otherwise) is the BER number given in? Same question
for SNR and signal strength? Nothing is mentioned in the API about
what the units of these numbers are which makes them less useful.
Also, currently, the only number I get back for signal strength is
65535 which seems wrong. I'm opening the frontend device read-only
right now and using VLC to actually tune the card if that makes any
difference.

Thanks
Andrew Hakman