xbox360bb: I want to make my out-of-tree module in-tree

Hi,

I've been maintaining an out-of-tree kernel module for the Xbox 360
"Big Button" controller for about 5 years, called xbox360bb.  It is
based on some code which was submitted to LKML in 2009, which was
rejected for vague 'style reasons' at the time.  I am hoping that I
can get the driver to pass checks for eventual inclusion in the
mainline kernel.

The code is at: https://github.com/micolous/xbox360bb

The device itself uses a protocol similar, yet distinct from the
normal Xbox 360 controllers.  It is not supported by Microsoft's own
Xbox controller drivers for Windows.

The device is a proprietary USB infrared receiver.  There are four
infrared controllers which are used with a single receiver.  These use
a subset of the traditional Xbox 360 controller buttons.

The receiver cannot be used with any other type of infrared device.

I have a couple of strategies I could pursue in merging this code, but
I'm not sure which path to take:

1. Include it as an extra kernel module. This is good because it can
live in "extra" for a while until it passes checks.

2. Attempt to merge the code changes into xpad.c.  This is harder as
it will require that the driver be rewritten.

There is a bunch of code specific to this controller to handle
persistent quadruplication of the device, debouncing and button
releasing which may make it sufficiently quirky to live in it's own
module.

I would like some advice on how to proceed getting this upstream, and
what style and best practices I may be ignorant to.  I've already gone
over it with checkpatch, which it is now happy with.

Based on the volume of email inquiries I get and some other comments
in Linux help forums, I think there is sufficient interest in making
this more easily available in the mainline kernel.  This is despite
the fact that the hardware is no longer manufactured.

Thanks,

Michael