Re: source code file for the generic vga driver?

Hi

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Haiyang Zhang <haiyangz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm working on an issue of HyperV synthetic frame buffer driver, which seems to have
> a conflict with the generic vga driver (not the vesa driver). I hope to read and trace into
> the source code for the generic vga driver...
>
> Can anyone point me to the source code file for the generic vga driver in the kernel tree?

Everything lives in ./drivers/video/. The drivers you're probably
interested in are "vesafb.c" or "vga16fb.c". There is also the
"vgacon" driver in ./drivers/video/console/vgacon.c. I am not sure
which one you are talking about.

You might also want to have a look at the x86 sysfb infrastructure
which isn't merged, yet:
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git/log/?h=x86/fb
It provides proper platform-devices so drivers no longer conflict on
the vga/vesa/efi.. framebuffer resources. It's x86 only as all the
relevant drivers only work on x86.

If you give some more information on what you are trying to do, I can
point you to the relevant resources. My guess is that you want to have
a look at remove_conflicting_framebuffers() in
./drivers/video/fbmem.c.

Regards
David