Re: RTL8187SE Driver

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 01:25:53PM -0500, Christopher Harrington wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 13:20, Prashant Shah <pshah.mumbai@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:43 PM, Christopher Harrington
> > <ironiridis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> I don't have the git tree sitting on a local drive, is there a way I
> >> could view this via HTTP? I'm not familiar with kernel development,
> >> sorry.
> >
> > https://github.com/torvalds/linux
>
> Thanks! That was exactly what I needed to know.
>
> The relevant (and most recent) commit is here:
>
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/84ba253b07a3d8e58160690320e9cfbe199bb88e
>
> Greg is correct, the intention was to force the driver to only be
> built as a module. Unfortunately this isn't the way to go about it, as
> the Kconfig will still allow you to build the driver into the kernel
> if modules are enabled.
>
> I would prefer, instead, making the three drivers mutually exclusive
> until the conflicting issue is resolved. Would a patch for that be
> welcome here?

Please don't do that.  The way we have now is better.  That way we
support more hardware which probably distros like.  Just hack your
own kernel if you have some weird "no modules" requirement.

Ideally of course, we could build all three into the kernel.  That
will need to happen before these get moved out of staging.

regards,
dan carpenter