Re: Plan for ath6kl cleanup

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 09:51:21AM -0700, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 10:29 -0400, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > >
> > > This sounds like, "We don't like the kernel development model, it
> > > requires us to break everything up into small patches and show our work
> > > to everyone."
> >
> > It's not the kernel development mode, it's something that you try to
> > impose on staging users.  Creating a more less new driver from a pig
> > pile of junk doesn't make sense minimized patches with micro-review.
>
> I tried it once on ath6kl.
> Ended up with ~300 patches and a very clean tree.

Yes it can be done, and others do it for other drivers, it just takes a
bit of effort.

But as this is pretty much a total rewrite, that's fine to do
out-of-tree and then just submit it for inclusion in the main wireless
tree and then we can delete this driver.

We've done this for other wireless drivers, so it wouldn't be the first
time.  I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't something with how the
overall development process was working that caused this.

thanks,

greg k-h