Re: forward porting drivers of s3c-based ebook reader platform

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Heiko StÃbner <mmind@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [please keep the cc to Alexander, thanks]
>
> Am Mittwoch 05 Januar 2011 schrieb Belisko Marek:
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Heiko StÃbner <mmind@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > last words
>> > ==========
>> >
>> > So if anyone more experienced with kernel development could lend us a
>> > hand with porting (and cleaning) any of this stuff I would be really
>> > grateful.
>>
>> Don't want to say I'm more experienced but can help with cleaning or
>> porting u-boot adaptions or whatever. Just lemme know.
>
> The basic problem is essentially threefold:
>
> - the stuff has to be ported accross 4 years of kernel development
> - the implementations of the s3c-architecture in the vendor kernel and the
> mailine kernel don't seem to be related at all or were changed much
Same for friendlyarm. Mainline differs a lot from kernel what provide
friendlyarm with
devices. Fortunately lot of drivers works with mainline fine.
> - one would need a sane scheme on how to handle the differences between the
> submodels. At the moment they use clauses like "if modelX || modelY ... else
> ... endif" where each respective model is listed
This could be board dependent or all boards are same?

> The soundchip parts for example look reasonably clean, i.e. they don't have
> that many real customizations in them. Mostly stuff thats commented out
> already.
>
> Implementing the power/regulator stuff might be easy (or not) because similar
> chips seem to be in the kernel i.e. charger bq24022 in kernel vs. bq24075 in
> the devices. But one would need the knowledge about these things :-) .
> [Also many tps6502XX regulator drivers are in the mainline kernel but not the
> specific TPS650240]
Not experienced in regulator but if similar drivers exist in kernel
it's just question of passing
some platform data ;). Do you have some spare devices for testing?

thanks,

marek

--
as simple and primitive as possible