forward porting drivers of s3c-based ebook reader platform

[please keep the cc, thanks]

Hi,

greg k-h pointed me to this list to ask for help, so here we go:

devices
=======

Basically every reader with an epaper display from Sipix currently available
belongs to this family. Some examples are the Thalia/Medion Oyo, Sagem Binder
aka Fnacbook, Asus DR-900, MrBook ONext, Bq Avant, Positivo Alfareader. Should
be more than 20 different models sold worldwide.

They are based on a Samsung S3C2416, 128MB ram and come with either 6" or 9"
display combined with a capacitive touchscreen.

Among optional features are wlan chips, gsm modems and accelerometers.

status
======

The original u-boot on the devices I've seen so far can dual-boot from either
the internal flash or a microsd card.

Yesterday we managed to boot 2.6.37rc8 + next-s3c24xx from linux samsung [1] +
some patches from a series not yet applied to this branch fixing the second
hsmmc channel [2] for the sd card.

Access to serial console is known [3], JTAG is not but should be on the same
connector.

sources
=======

The devices originally use a crude fork of kernel 2.6.21.5 with support for
s3c chipsets combined with drivers for the addition hardware components.

The german vendor Thalia released their u-boot and kernel source on [4].
Still missing is the driver for the AUO-K1900 framebuffer and the MediaTek
MT5921 wlan chipset built into some models but I'm hopeful to have this sorted
in 2 weeks or earlier.

Asus is working on the source release and guessing from my comunication with
their gpl compliance officer seemed interested in alternative firmware-
developments for their device.

components
==========

Most of the stuff contains numerous switches for the different submodels made by
qisda employees. The following components have code in various quality states:

sound: rtl5624 and rtl5627 with s3c2416 integration (sound/soc/codecs and s3c)

touchscreen: capacitive and seems to support multitouch (according to sources)
made of two Tango S32 controllers combined with an ATmega168PA.
drivers/input/touchscreen/s3c_ts_iic.* and drivers/i2c/chips/qisda_iic.c

The keypad driver is really strange. It seems to contain the charger logic
amongst other stuff. (drivers/input/keyboard/s3c-keypad-qisda.c).

Regulator and battery hardware seem to be from TI: BQ24075, TPS650240.

A bit of insight into the hardware components can be found on [5].

last words
==========

So if anyone more experienced with kernel development could lend us a hand
with porting (and cleaning) any of this stuff I would be really grateful.

Thanks
Heiko

[1] http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/kgene/linux-
samsung.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next-s3c24xx

[2] ARM S3C2416: Add address map and clock definitions for HSMMC0
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg105416.html

ARM: S3C2416: Add support of SD/MMC card detect on SMDK2416
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg105415.html

ARM S3C24XX: Compile NAND device definition for SMDK boards
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg105412.html

ARM S3C2443: Implement GPIO pull-up/down configuration methods
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg105418.html

ARM SAMSUNG: Don't export __init functions to modules
http://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg105420.html

[3] http://www.ownyo.de/
[4] http://www.thalia.de/oyo_src/SG060B00_V009.tgz
[5] http://www.eetimes.com/design/communications-design/4207606/BenQ-K60-e-
reader--Trying-to-stand-on-the-shoulders-of-giants-semiconductor