RE: What is the minimum quality needed for drivers to move out of staging?

Hi Prasanna,

> > I came across some tools that other operating systems provide for
> > checking the quality. My idea is that if we have a automated tool that
> > could test the driver it will be easy for the developer, maintainer
> > and also for the user. The automated test scripts could do check for
> > minimum functionality and depending on that the driver developer could
> > take actions to improve and clean up the driver.
>
> Again, human review, which is what we do in Linux, is much better than
> automated tools for a wide variety of reasons.
>
> But hey, if you want to write some automated tools, that certainly can't
> hurt :)

Which are those tools? What type of testing they do? Are they available for free?

Could you please explain more about your idea on driver testing implementation?

> > These tests help not only meeting the quality of code but also gives
> > importance to functionality and features support (this is what a user
> > who is new to linux or computer system wants). Is there any
> > possibility that some developer could need a generic script for each
> > category of driver (be it sound, usb, video, serial etc etc). I would
> > be glad to write some script (tests).
>
> The problem is, there are too many different types, and new types being
> created every day.

Take a look at the following repository, you may find some useful scripts and of course, propose new ideas for testing

http://dev.omapzoom.org/?p=richo/device_driver_test.git;a=summary

Best Regards
Abraham