Re: Detecting the IPOD as HID device

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 07:26:01PM +0530, Sandeep G.R wrote:
>    If i insert the iPOD device it will detect as mass storage device also in
> /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-6/ directory bConfigurationValue is present and if i
> read the file its value is 08(USB_MASS_STORAGE) and if i change the using
> the command #echo 2 > bConfigurationValue now the iPOD will detect as AUDIO
> and HID device and automatically snd-usb-audio driver is loaded if i check
> in  /sys/bus/usb/drivers/ now i need to change the bConfigurationValue of
> the device in my driver probe function.

First off, why aren't you asking this type of thing on the
linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing list where the Linux usb developers
are at?  That's the best place for it.

> But can we change anything in drivers/usb/core/genric.c
> usb_choose_configuration() for changing the bConfigurationValue or
> Any suggestion for changing the bConfigurationValue from driver level.

Nope, write a udev rule to switch the configuration if you really want
it because the majority of the people out there do want to use their
ipod as a storage device.

> When my driver is loaded the bConfigurationValue of the device should
> change or else can i use the usb_set_confgiuration() to change the
> bConfigurationValue of the device.

Why do you need a driver at all, what's wrong with the built-in kernel
HID driver?

thanks,

greg k-h