Re: Driver for Realtek ALC56xx codec needed

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 04:56:46PM -0700, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 16:35 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > [redirecting to devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, the prjmgr list is dead]

> > It will be easy for me to add this to the staging tree to give people a
> > place to start cleaning it up, is that acceptable?
>
> You could but due to the level of churn in ASoC this is probably not
> such a great idea; it'd most likely introduce cross tree issues on a
> fairly regular basis even without anything else happening (chances are
> if it's an out of tree driver that's not being actively worked on it's
> already got some such issues). I don't personally mind and I suspect
> Liam wouldn't, but it's liable to cause hassle with -next.

Ok, I'll hold off then.

> > > Do you have someone interested in working on a driver for this codec?
>
> > Have you tried asking on the alsa devel mailing list?  If we can get
> > some hardware, and you have the data sheet as shown, it shouldn't be
> > that much work to knock out a new codec.
>
> You could try but it's fairly unlikely that someone there will do much
> work on a CODEC driver for a random CODEC for hardware they don't
> actually have - if you were going to try somewhere it'd be the community
> around the boards that have the part down rather than the ALSA list
> that'd be more likely to work.
>
> Except with hardware that heavily uses audio (which isn't the case for
> these, they're mostly NASs) embedded people mostly only pop onto the
> ALSA list when they have specific things to do.

Yes, I was hoping that someone could actually get the hardware device,
as that would make it easier to actually work on the driver.

Or, one could hope that a canonical developer would do this work, as
obviously the driver is in their tree to get a specific device working,
which they have on hand, but I'm not going to hold my breath :(

thanks,

greg k-h