Re: Driver for Realtek ALC56xx codec needed

On Fri, 2010-05-21 at 16:35 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> [redirecting to devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, the prjmgr list is dead]

> > > If someoen posts it on the lsit I'll review it properly.
> > > Fixing the sort of stuff checkpatch can identify would be good first,
> > > though.

> It will be easy for me to add this to the staging tree to give people a
> place to start cleaning it up, is that acceptable?

You could but due to the level of churn in ASoC this is probably not
such a great idea; it'd most likely introduce cross tree issues on a
fairly regular basis even without anything else happening (chances are
if it's an out of tree driver that's not being actively worked on it's
already got some such issues). I don't personally mind and I suspect
Liam wouldn't, but it's liable to cause hassle with -next.

> > Do you have someone interested in working on a driver for this codec?

> Have you tried asking on the alsa devel mailing list?  If we can get
> some hardware, and you have the data sheet as shown, it shouldn't be
> that much work to knock out a new codec.

You could try but it's fairly unlikely that someone there will do much
work on a CODEC driver for a random CODEC for hardware they don't
actually have - if you were going to try somewhere it'd be the community
around the boards that have the part down rather than the ALSA list
that'd be more likely to work.

Except with hardware that heavily uses audio (which isn't the case for
these, they're mostly NASs) embedded people mostly only pop onto the
ALSA list when they have specific things to do.