Re: wireless drivers in staging

On Monday 14 September 2009 08:59:32 Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:30:24AM -0400, John W. Linville wrote:
> >
> > > I'm all ears wrt help.  I've been cleaning up the pci/init for the vt6655
> > > and am finding all kinds of interesting timing/access issues.  Is there a
> > > possiblity that we/I could get some datasheets or ??? from Via on these
> > > parts?  It appears to me that reality and the code are on divergent paths.
> >
> > I'm not sure, but I hope so! :-)  Seriously, if Greg doesn't have
> > a contact then you might contact Harald Welte.  He was hired by VIA
> > some time ago as a community liaison, and I know he had offered to
> > be helpful in this regard.
>
> Greg does not have a contact, sorry.

I skimmed Forest's reference to Christoph's LKML and the list for the new/other
driver.  I have no problem at all with combining effort.  As you can see from staging,
I've made 14+ commits for both those drivers and for the most part, all I've done is
clean up the shop floor in them so I could get down to some real work without tripping
over scraps and sharp edged shavings.  It really is a tossup which gets us to something
workable, let alone integrated with mac80211.  If they are further along to moving a
driver out of staging and into wireless for .32 then I don't object to a stop-work on
this thing.  At the very least, one would not have to plow thru all my commits to trace
the provenance of this thing.  Christoph is right, we don't need two of these things
and the quickest way to a working "something" gets my vote.

I do have one question:  It appears they are working on just the vt6656 (usb) version.
Is anyone working on the mini-pci vt6655 in that group?  As a corollary, what is the
demand for a mini-pci?  Most of that laptops I've seen of late are either using pci-x
or (more common)using usb for wireless devs. Given its application, if it is not a
design-in at this point, it may be eclipsed by the usb part.  I am asking this to size
the legacy base for this part and an opinion as to whether there is demand for the effort.

BTW, I've been working on the mini-pci part for this latest round (based on a coin flip...).
If the consensus is to drop the staging driver set but the mini-pci part is still relevant,
I could move across to working on that in the new driver tree.

My baseline goal is simple: clear a Launchpad bug assigned to me ;)  That and Forest
gave be one each of these parts and has guilted me into working on them ;)

Jim
--
Jim Lieb
Ubuntu Kernel Team