Prism2 [was: Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008]

On Tue, April 8, 2008 15:59, John W. Linville wrote:
> Also lurking out there is support for the USB-based Prism2 devices.
> The linux-wlan project had support for these, but the kernel.org
> kernels do not.  Hardware can be a bit hard to find...

I know someone with such a card, and have used it myself for a while.
I also looked into porting it to the hostap driver, but it seemed to be
more work than I had time to spend on it.

Quoting the HFA3842B datasheet:

"The USB host port interface uses Microsoft's Remote NDIS
protocol to communicate with the network software on the
host computer."

The work involved seems to adapt hostap such that the communication
is abstracted slightly more, making it easy to add USB support. Main
work is figuring out how the USB communication differs from the PCI
one, which boils down to learning how RNDIS works.

To sum up, I've no time to do it, but can probably help with testing,
or give small hints here and there (e.g. card is very sensitive for
which firmware is used, try the default, already loaded one first).

Regards,

Indan