Linux Driver Project Status Report as of April 2008

> We have the ability to control firewire devices from userspace through
> the "raw" driver, right?
>
> And for USB, we have libusb and openusb, both cross-platform userspace
> libraries built on top of usbfs.
>
> So from the kernel point-of-view, I think that there's not much we can
> do here, right?  I've pushed many USB devices to userspace programs
> using libusb as that is the proper place for them (they don't need to be
> kernel drivers).  This gets the benifit of working on all OSes that
> libusb supports (solaris, *bsd, windows, os-x, etc.)
>
> If you know of specific devices that are not working on Linux, _and_
> whose manufacturers are interested in changing this, please let me know,
> I'll be glad to help out.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h
>

>From the kernel point of view, I agree. It is all the more right than
these devices are actually operated in a fairly similar way elsewhere :
through userspace extensions of similar "raw" or "misc" devices.

I take the action of trying to reach a few DSLR vendors, at least the ones
I have a personal reason to contact due to my equipment. I'll put my hands
on it as well.

Now let's face it : your great initiative has an excellent visibility, and
this is a strong point to show to hardware vendors. We might need to end
up with a "Linux-awareness for hardware vendors" page as a hub to kernel
projects, printers/CUPS, scanners and so on. Having a separation that says
"no, your support is not done here, please go elsewhere" might be an own
goal, most companies tend to like having a single entry point to a service
that sounds unique to them, 'hardware driving'.

Now a funny thing : shooting in a studio from a camera implies getting the
information shown on the rear screen. And with the generalization of Live
View shooting I would not be surprised that such a device would need V4L
services as well :-)

--
Beno?t Donnette - Expert TM2L/OSSA - www.08000linux.com
LINAGORA - 27 rue de Berri - 75008 PARIS