Projects are coming

> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:19:28 -0800
> Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>

> > One funny thing, a number of companies have contacted us already, asking
> > for Linux support for their devices, only for us to tell them that all
> > of their devices are already supported just fine, no new work is
> > needed.  They were pleasantly supprised :)
> >

> I think such comments should be made with caution. In most cases where
> the vendor hasn't been involved, there has been some level of  reverse engineering involved. So the driver can be based on flawed assumptions. Also, there's the issue of erratas. In short, just because we have a driver doesn't mean we don't want vendors to get involved.
>
> Rgds
> --
>      -- Pierre Ossman

The biggest problem I've found with development in which the vendor
was not involved lies in error detection and recovery.  Every vendor
has a different policy.  The most robust code requires a lot of
development time and $$$, so many OEMs elect a scaled-down approach.

The trivial example is a paper-out fault on a printer.  This happens
frequently, and all devices and processes should anticipate it and
handle it correctly.  However, there are many other faults which can
be created only with great difficulty, if at all.  These represent a
serious challenge to the reverse engineering paradigm.

Creating a complete and robust support module for a product which is
working properly is only a small part of the effort.  The balance may
not be possible without the OEM's involvement.

BR

Leigh